Monday, May 25, 2009

Three Lessons I Learned at the Drive-In

I can't remember the last time I went to see a movie at a drive-in theatre. It might have been with my Uncle Joe and Aunt Myrna (in Lafayette, IN at the drive-in on State Road 26), but I'm not sure. Geez...I was probably 10 or so. No wonder I can't remember. I feel really old at times.

There's actually a drive-in outside Bloomington – Starlite Drive-In Movie Theatre. For one reason or another, we hadn't gone there in the four years we've lived here...until this past Friday night.

Since Kristin and Gi Gi (that's what the kids call Kristin's mom) were getting ready to leave at 4:30 a.m. Saturday morning to go to Florida for a week of R&R, Friday night was my best bet for taking Sammie out on the date I'd promised her. Kristin suggested that I take Sam and Chase. So, Ava was crying as we were packing our lawn chairs, drinks, candy and popcorn. Of course, I caved in and said she could come ... against my better judgement. 

We parked next to the Newlands for Ben Stiller's Night at the Museum 2. I think the kids had a great time. I had a so-so time. The movie was weak, and Ava was driving me crazy -- before (walking out of my sight), during (talking loudly) and after (whining) the movie. This line from an email Kristin sent me from Florida the next day made me feel a little better: "Cindy said Ava was good and that it probably just seemed loud to you because you're the dad. Said she was so cute."

Here are the three lessons I learned:
1. Six, four and two is not a good age mix for one parent at a drive-in theatre. 
2. I need to keep working on the way I respond to the kiddos during stressful situations. I also need to remember that Sam, Chase and Ava are six, four and two, respectively. It's funny how easily I forget their ages, and talk to them like they are adults.
3. Drive-ins can be a lot of fun. One family brought Chinese food, another brought an inflatable mattress...it felt a little like a tailgate party. I'd love to go at least a few more times this summer.

Brian Signature copy

1 comment:

  1. I am going to have to disagree with you on a couple of points. I LOVED the movie. I can barely stand cartoons and typical kid movies, and I LOVED it!

    And Ava was SOOOOO good. She was not loud at all. :) Seriously. Not at all. She was better than Cheddar! I think you're amazing for even attempting the night! :)

    ReplyDelete