Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Things I've Noticed in Spain

You can kiss your family and friends good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world, but a world lives in you. 
– Frederick Buechner, Telling the Truth


For the first time, I got a glimpse into Brian's world as a working man.  (I never believed him when he said it was hard to be away as he called from a five star hotel.) It's the Arnold custom to stand on the front porch and wave frantically, screaming "Byyyyyyyyyyyye.  I love you!" to whoever is leaving us.  My precious babies did this for us when we left Sunday to go Spain and my heart sank.  Everything I hold precious was right there, getting smaller in the rearview mirror.  I know they are well taken care of and our trip will be a memorable time in our relationship, but still......still.

Off to Spain.  We are staying at a five star hotel built for the '92 Olympics.  I remarked to Brian that it's the grandest hotel I've ever stayed in.  When he just shrugged, it occurred to me that my favorite five star hotel is whatever five star hotel I'm occupying at the moment!  I often judge a hotel by it's bathroom.  I felt a little like Crocodile Dundee when I discovered this:


I understand what it's for, but still can't bring myself to use it.  

I wondered, as I lay poolside today, if there was anyone in Barcelona longing for an exotic vacation in the United States.  Even if they were, I doubt Bloomington would be in their dreams.  I saw these things I thought were floating in the pool.  Turns out they are metal and sit just under the surface.  I want one!  I guess I should get a pool first.


I know Diet Coke is a huge hit in the U.S., but I wondered if this were the label everywhere, if it wouldn't fly off the shelves!  Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

In case you can't read it, it says, "Coca-Cola light."

In this hotel, they are particularly conscious about conserving energy.  The escalator to the mezzanine, for instance, doesn't move until you take the first step and stops as soon as the last person gets off.  The place to put your key is not on the door.  See this? It's under a row of buttons on a wall to the right of the door....one of which is the buzzer for your room.  No plain ol' door knockin' here! (I know that doesn't save energy, I just thought it was cool.) Also, before you can turn on the lights in your room, you have to put your key into another outlet inside the door.  So when you take the key out to leave your room, the lights automatically shut off 60 seconds later.  I learned this when everything went black in the bathroom -- good thing I have a general idea of where everything important is in there.

The best thing I've discovered so far is their "chocolate caliente."  It was the most creamy, luscious thing I've ever put in my mouth.  It tasted like my grandma's chocolate pie in an espresso cup!  

Lastly, I'm absolutely reeling from reading "The Shack."  Read it, read it read it! Ron, Betsy, Tracy, Honor, Adam, Eric, Becky....read it, so we can talk about it.  I have every third page dog-eared with something that touched me.  Absolutely fascinating, thought-provoking and, and...and, well READ IT!

Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. More, More!!!!! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous that you are in Spain and a five star hotel! But the real kicker is the chocolate caliente....enjoy sweet one! Have an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful place to be! And how cool are those pool chairs?!!

    ReplyDelete