Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sam's School Day -- Friday, April 16, 2010

I took the day off from work Friday to watch the kids, and homeschool Sam, as Kristin took part in Chrysalis (Thursday p.m. - Sunday p.m.). Thanks to Kristin for setting up Sam and me for success.

Here's Sam's first-grade homeschool workload for posterity:
Philippians 1:1-11. I read this passage to the kids. We talked about Paul's references to "joy."

The Usborne Book of World History. I read pg. 87 to the kids -- "The end of the Roman Repbulic." Sam talked about Julius Caeser and Augustus Caeser.

Leading Little One to God. I read lesson 80 ("The Lord's Supper") to the kids.

Math work sheets: sums ("match each sum to a letter to answer the riddle"), counting by 10s to connect the dots from 10 - 100, subtraction (2-digits and problem solving) and 3-digit mystery number.

Critical thinking/logic: story-time logic ("At the ice cream shop, Ben, Chan and Maria each...") and pet logic ("Alex, Betty, Chad and Dena each brought a pet...")

Spanish: Sam completed her next Rosetta Stone lesson on her own. (She even calibrated the headset/microphone to Kristin's Apple Powerbook on her own. She's getting quite skilled with a computer.)

Reading: Sam read chapters one and two of Betsy Byars' Tornado. After finishing her reading, we pulled out her dry-erase map and outlined tornado alley. I also read her chapter 11 of Henry Winterfeld's Detectives in Togas ("A hilarious whodunit in ancient Rome.").

Profiles: I read pages 157 - 164 of George Muller – The Guardian of Bristol's Orphans.
(I'm going to read all of this fascinating account.)

Music: piano lessons from Piano Wizard Academy book two (ex. Big Ben, It's Midnight)

I'm looking forward to seeing Sam continue to blossom. It's amazing how much she's learned already. I'm thankful for getting to take part in her education on Friday.

Brian Signature copy

No comments:

Post a Comment