Tuesday, January 6, 2009

UNdecking the Halls

I hear there are some of you crazies who haven't taken down your Christmas decorations yet! Actually, I don't think you're crazy at all.  But, in case you're hanging onto them because you're trying to hold off the post-holiday let down, let me tell you a story.

I have this book that helps turn everyday objects into Bible lessons.  As you might imagine, there's a page on how to use the Christmas tree to tell biblical truths.  Experienced Sunday school teachers can write this lesson in their sleep.

Things such as the star reminding of us of the bright star that led the wise men to the baby Jesus.  Or, the evergreen boughs reminding us of new life and constant growth in our Christian walk.  And, the tree trunk of wood like that of the cross Jesus died on. Even the gifts below make us think of God's gift of His Son.  There are about a dozen examples listed.  

I get so caught up in what is happening TODAY, that I'm not sure my mind would've come to the final and most powerful illustration. The lesson closes like this: "The whole tree can point us to Christ, and when it is taken down, we are reminded that we too will be taken from this world some day."  

For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. 
I Thessalonians 4:16-17

I just LOVE Christmas, don't you?  An infant come to save lil' ol' me.  I'll never look at taking down our tree the same way again. 

Here's hoping I'll see you in the air!


Photobucket


2 comments: